Friday, October 4, 2013

And so it begins

On Wednesday I began my first round of chemo. It honestly wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The nurse gave me steroid and anti-nausea meds before I got the nasty stuff and that helped tremendously. She did warn that when those two things wore off I would not be feeling so hot and she was 100% correct. I'm having to go to the cancer center every day to get a shot to keep my white blood cell count up and I seem to get sick everytime I finish with that. I was told that I would most definitely lose all of my hair with the cocktail that I am on so I went yesterday and got all of my hair cut off. It looks awful and quite frankly I felt stupid paying to get a haircut when I know I will probably only have the hair another week or two. I just felt it would be easier if I lost short strands rather than long ones. 
The girls seem to be taking everything okay. Yesterday I started getting sick right around the time they came home from school and I was worried about their reaction. They were super sweet though and brought me blankets (I was freezing!) and asked me if I needed anything. I honestly think the thing that bugs me the most about all this mess is how it is going to affect them. So far they seem to be taking everything in stride, but I worry about how things will go as we progress. Kids are pretty darn resilient though and mine are awesome so I'm sure they'll be just fine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It really is crazy how cancer affects us all one way or another. However, I'm glad to see that you have such a great support system. My name is Emily and I wanted to know if you would be able to answer a quick question about your blog. Could you please email me when you get the chance at - emilywalsh688(at)gmail(dot)com - thanks!

Search & Win