Friday, May 20, 2011

Out of the mouths of babes

As any mom can tell you when it comes to your children you just never know what is going to pop out of their mouths at any given time. I've never really had to worry about filtering Kylie and Audrey because they were always kind of shy when they were younger and now that they are a little older they are pretty good at filtering themselves. Sophie? Not so much.
Yesterday when we were outside playing she was attempting to do headstands in the backyard. I was sitting on the swing (pretty much my standard outside spot) reading a book when she stopped and asked me if I wanted to try to do one. I told her no thank you and naturally she asked me why not. I told her that I was to old and fat to which she immediately replied, "You're not too old" she then gave me the old side eye, grinned and finished her sentence with, "but you are fat." Umm, thanks honey. I kind of laughed it off because a) it's true and b) I knew that she would never, ever say anything like that to someone else. 
Once again she proved me wrong. We were coming home from the supermarket today and right as we turned on our street I noticed an older man, probably in his seventies out for a walk. Without his shirt on. Now, those of you that have boys probably think nothing of seeing someone without a shirt on, but in a household where estrogen rules like mine it's kind of a big deal. My daughters always freak out when they see a guy without a shirt on so I was kind of, sort of hoping that Sophie wouldn't notice the poor old guy. The second we got out of the car she said, "Mom, that man's naked! Look you can even see his boobies, that's just discusting!" By the way she still hasn't quite got the pronunciation for disgusting down. Needless to say the old man got a bit of a cardio workout trying to rush past our house. I guess I'm going to have to really work with her before she starts kindergarten in the fall otherwise I have a feeling I may have several parent/teacher conferences in my future.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't you love their honesty. I get "your not fat, your just medium". Thanks, honey.
Just this week I started talking to my kids about not saying things about people appearance unless it is a compliment. They don't mean to be rude, just stating facts but it can definitely be considered rude. Ugh. Parenting is tough.

Search & Win