A few weeks ago I posted about a project I was thinking of doing. Well it is finally done now so I thought I would share the results with you.
As usual I ask that you please, please, please ignore my horrible photography. I promise this room is really bright and cheerful in real life and not covered in shadow.
I found the plans for the bed on Ana White's fantastic website. If you've never checked out her website then I strongly urge you to do so. It is absolutely wonderful. The plans are actually for a twin size bed, but we wanted to make it a little larger so we could use a full size mattress instead. Luckily Ana had a link to another blogger that made the same bed in full size. I contacted Sherri at Luvabargain and she was kind enough to email the me the dimensions. By the way Sherri's blog is another fantastic one full of great deals so be sure to check it out too!
The bed did not take that long to finish, but with all the school projects, sick kids and my husbands work schedule it seemed like it took forever. Or maybe I'm just really impatient. Basically the only changes we made to the plans were the little window ledge (the girls needed somewhere for their cookie jars to go!) and the ladder. We decided to just use the ladder we had for the bunk beds rather than make one because we're lazy like that.
In hindsight I wish that we had put the ladder and the window on opposite ends because now the ladder is in front of the girls art house (another one of our pbk knock offs). Now we have to move the ladder for them to draw, but it's not a really big deal because they have been playing inside of the playhouse so much I think they have forgotten about everything else in the room.
The inside is a bit crowded because I gave the girls free rein to do what they wanted with it and they decided to move their table in. By the way as you can see I finally made them a new tablecloth. I've only been promising to make them one for umm.. about two years now.
For those of you that really love Pottery Barn Kids you might want to scroll past this next picture really quickly.
I had a valance from PBK that I wanted to use in the window, but it was much too long. So I committed blasphemy of sorts and cut it and made two curtains with it. My husband got a good laugh out of me cringing while I cut it. As far as the bedding we just kept the quilt we had. As much as I love to buy new bedding I really like this quilt. Also, I thought it would be easier to make the bed using the twin quilt as opposed to a full size one that we would have to tuck forever.
I overheard Sophie telling her dad last night that he really needed to make her an oven now so she could bake cookies so I have a feeling it won't be too much longer before we're working on something else.