Saturday, March 27, 2010

Thank you Williams-Sonoma!

About a year or so ago I purchased this cookbook:
 I'll be completely honest and admit that the reason I bought it was because it was pretty and I thought it would look nice on the cookbook stand in my kitchen.  I'm pathetic I know. I usually just stick with baking things that come out of a box so I knew when I bought it that it would probably just gather dust.  And it did until a few days ago.  I don't know what got into me, but I thought I would actually take a look at it.  Some of the recipes were a bit pretentious to say the least, but then I ran across the one for buttery apple cake.  Just the name made my mouth water so I knew I had to make it.  It looked fairly easy and oddly enough I actually had the ingredients on hand.  So last night I baked it.  Oh my heck, that thing was awesome!  I was going to take a picture, but literally the minute I took it out of the pan to cool off husband sliced a big piece off and started eating it.  He's normally not a sweet eater at all, but even he loved it.  Anyway, I thought I would share the recipe in case any of you need to pack on some pounds before swimsuit season:
Buttery Apple Cake ~
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into slices 1/4 inch thick
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp lemon zest
icing sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 inch round cake pan with 2 inch
In a large frying pan over low heat, melt the butter. pour 6 tablespoons of it into a small bowl and set aside. Add the apples to the frying pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs and egg yolk until blended. Add the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter, vanilla, granulated sugar, and the lemon zest. Stir in the flour mixture. Gently fold in the apples. Spoon into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
Bake until the cake is brown - 30 - 35 minutes. Transfer to a wore rack and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan onto the rack and allow to cool completely.
Just prior to serving dust the cake with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Search & Win