Monday, July 12, 2010

Toys, toys, glorious toys!

I have always been one of those 'mean' moms when it comes to giving my children toys.  As a general rule I have always bought them toys just twice a year. Once for Christmas, once for birthdays. The problem with this is that one child has a birthday two days before Christmas and one has a birthday two weeks after Christmas so it tends to be somewhat overwhelming. Now, I have always been extremely lucky in that my children don't ask for toys that often. When I ask them what they want for Christmas or their birthday they usually just ask for one or two things. That may sound like a dream come true, but I love to buy them things and sometimes it tends to get a bit frustrating.  One thing I have noticed though is that I tend to go just a little overboard with buying for them and then they get overwhelmed. And I get frustrated because I feel as though they aren't giving that special gift I bought them the attention I feel it warrants. I know, I know, completely ridiculous, but what can I say?

Case in point, the Year of Felicity. If you have daughters I am sure you are well aware of the American Girl dolls and accessories.  When Kylie was in kindergarten she began reading the American Girl books and fell in love with Felicity. So that year husband and I decided to get her a Felicity doll for Christmas. I bought the doll months before Christmas and dreamed of the moment when Kylie opened that gift. I imagined the look of pure joy on her face. Yeah, that didn't happen. What did happen was she said thank you and set her aside. She probably did  not play with her until months later when I told her I was going to sell her on ebay (the doll, not the child). 
Recently I learned something about my kids and toys. I was out shopping at Ross (shocker, right?)  one day and ran across this little pastry shop. 
It was 9.99 and I thought it would go wonderfully with the playhouse in Audrey and Sophie's room. So I bought it with every intention of giving to them for Christmas. Instead for some crazy reason I thought 'why not give it to them now?' And that is just what I did. They were so excited and have played with it every single day for about two months now. I am kicking myself for all the years I have waited until an occasion came up to give them something. Especially in light of the fact that Kylie is slowly but surely moving away from toys  *sniff*. Since then I have bought them a few small things, doll clothes, puzzles, etc. and they have thoroughly enjoyed every single thing. Not only have they enjoyed them, but they have appreciated them. So I guess it just goes to show that you can teach an old dog (that would be me) new tricks.  
 By the way, Audrey wanted me to include this picture of her dollhouse. She spent forever getting it 'just so' and was very proud of it so here ya go:

3 comments:

Jenn Erickson said...

Our American Girl dolls have suffered a similar fate. I think Kit and Molly are both somewhere in the back of a closet. Ahhh, $200 well spent >:(
Happy to have met you through our Blog Frog community.

Cheers!
Jenn

greygillfish said...

I see that Audrey is taking after her momma's home decorating skills. :)

My story goes the same, I don't buy toys unless it is for Christmas or Birthdays and they are never appreciated because they get so much stuff from all sides of the family. I think I will try this to see if it works. It is so important to me that my kids be appreciative and thanful for what they have. A hard lesson to teach when they are spoiled by many sets of grandparents. :)

The Planet Pink said...

Yes, the lack of reaction is the bane of my existence. The months of carefully planning purchases... dashed to the ground with a simple, "thank you". Sigh. You are not alone my friend.

Glad to see you on Blog Frog!

Search & Win