Monday, October 11, 2010

Talk about a wake up call

I've been thinking about getting into shape for quite some time now. Not so much for looks (although that would be a huge bonus!), but because I just don't feel so great. I used to walk about 3 and a half miles a day, but a few years ago (yes, I said years!) I had a knee injury that took forever to heal and things just went downhill from there. I've basically done nothing since then. Yes, I am hanging my head in shame. Anyway, I recently ordered some fancy shmancy new shoes for myself and a cheapy stroller for Sophie. I know Sophie is really kind of old for a stroller, but since I pretty much have no one to watch her I figured I might as well take her with me. Well both of these items have pretty much just sat unused for about a week. Until yesterday. 
Yesterday I received a wake up call. Literally. Remember when I posted about how much I hate those phone calls that come before 10:00 a.m and after 10:00 p.m? Well, I got one yesterday. My mother was calling to let me know that my cousins wife died of a heart attack Saturday night. A heart attack. You know those things that are only supposed to happen to really, really, really old people? Yes, she was older than me, but not by a huge amount of years. It just breaks my heart that someone so kindhearted and sweet will not be around anymore. Not only does it make me sad that the world has lost a great person, but as I said it was a huge wake up call for me personally. The thought of not being around to watch my babies grow up just makes me ill. So yesterday I took the first step. Literally. I slipped on my fancy shmancy new shoes, asked the kids if they wanted to join me and off we went. I know it's not much, but it's a start and hopefully it's the beginning of a healthier lifestyle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya! I've not been feeling well for a few weeks and I decided to bump up my exercise and lay off the treats I bake for my family...I'm finally seeing some improvement!

The Planet Pink said...

I totally understand your thoughts. With the hubs pushing 40 we've really started being more serious about our health, getting physicals every year, exercising and paying better attention to how we fuel our bodies. Our babies need us around!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry about your loss. Good luck with getting moving. I have been slacking too.

greygillfish said...

I need to jump on this bandwagon too. I think about it every single day and still can't get the motivation I need to go for a walk/run bike ride in the evening when I get home. I know I would feel so much better.

Good job on the walking! Keep it up!

Search & Win